I had the idea to start documenting my life as a student nurse when I first started school, but I only began putting fingertips to keyboard recently. Good thing that I kept a few entries in my personal journal from when I started that I can look back at. It's been about a year since I've started the BSN Program at West Coast University. Since then, I've had my first skills labs experience, learned more about pharmacology with Tita Ty-ty than I could ever imagine, experience the dreaded HESI exams, bought scrubs and a stethoscope to match, had my first clinical rotation at Kindred Hospital, learned to take vitals, perform a complete physical assessment, passed meds, became an active member in the National Student Nurse Association, and devoted hours upon hours, upon more hours to reading my 100lb. textbooks each day (or so I try, haha).
These days, waking up at 0430-0500, work part-time at BofA 5 days out of the week, going to school 3-4 days out of the week, studying at any open moment, and finding time to sleep when I can has been my routine for the past year which I'm pleased to announce I'm getting used to. I really can't complain I love what I do and I'm grateful that so far everything has worked well together. :) Anyway.......
So, I sit here…scribbling possibilities of my future and I like the way it’s looking. One day, the acronyms BSN, RN or even possibly MSN, NP will follow L. Nugas. I know I’m still in the first few terms of my nursing education, but I can’t help but want it now. “To live the good life.” That in less than 2 years I’m going to be taking a huge step that will be the foundation of my future. *crosses fingers* I can’t believe looking five years back how long it took me to get to this point. Regardless, that it took longer than I expected it’s the path I decided to take, the very long path. I realized if I took a shorter path I don’t think I would have been as prepared as I am now. I’m grateful for God’s blessings to keep me strong through all the moments of discouragements, upsets, and heartbreaks. Within the first term of nursing I’ve created bonds with my classmates that I hope will remain strong throughout the years. They are the individuals that have kept me sane, kept me going, and understood our version of “blood, sweat, and tears.” Literally. I really want to make a difference; I took it seriously when my professor said we are the last line of defense for our patients. I’ve come across many different nurses some that get by, by doing the bare minimum and others that have the passion to change lives of the patient and families, the real art of caring.
In all my times of wanting to be a nurse I have always felt the need to validate my reason to become a nurse. All the comments ranging from, “It’s because of your ethnicity, you’re just fulfilling the stereotype.” “Why a nurse why not be a doctor? They make more money. It’s more prestigious” Or even the subtle insults where they rant about their lives comparing what they do is so much different from mine. So many times, I wanted to stop them and say, "What the hell is it that you do now?" But, thinking about it I would be exactly like them. So, I swallow my pride and everything else and know the choice I decided to make are the reasons for bettering myself and my world around me. I’m grateful for the professors that have helped me understand what it is to truly be a nurse and to take pride in my title, my future name.
So, here it is....my honest convictions as a student nurse. Hope you enjoy it!
No comments:
Post a Comment